Biological Science Technician (Wildlife)

Posted on Jan 12, 2021

National Park Service, Department of the Interior

Mineral, CA  |  #science #government


The Pacific West Region is recruiting for summer seasonal Biological Science Technician (Wildlife), GS-0404-5 positions intended to assist permanent staff with Biological Science Technician (Wildlife) field work.

Open to the first 75 applicants.

Applications must be submitted by 11:59 EST on the 'applicant cut-off' date (which may be sooner than 01/20/2021) to be considered.

All qualifications must be met by 11:59 EST when the 'applicant cut-off' is reached (which may be sooner than 01/20/2021).

To qualify for this position, you must possess at least one of the following minimum qualifications: EXPERIENCE: At least one full year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors).

This experience includes activities such as: conducting wildlife field surveys to document and assess animal presence, abundance, reproduction, and population dynamics; assisting researchers in wildlife surveys and monitoring activities; mapping wildlife locations using a Global Positioning Systems (GPS) unit; working with field crews to implement wildlife projects; and to assist in long-term monitoring projects by following established protocols to compile, store, analyze and report on wildlife data using a variety of computer programs.

You must include hours per week worked.n-OR-nEDUCATION: Successful completion of at least four years of education above high school (120 semester hour or 180 quarter hours) leading to a bachelor's degree with major study or 24 semester hours of course work in a related field of scientific or technical study, such as in biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physics, agriculture, or mathematics.

At least 6 semester hours of courses must be directly related to the position such as wildlife biology.

You must include transcripts.n-OR-nSuccessful completion of a COMBINATION of education and experience as described above.

To combine education and experience, only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours of a course of study leading to a bachelor's degree is creditable toward meeting this requirement.

Two full academic years of study, or 60 semester hours, beyond the second year is equivalent to l year of specialized experience.

For example, six months of the specialized experience (50% of the experience requirement), and 3 years of college study from an accredited institution which included at least 12 semester hours of related coursework as specified above, and at least 3 semester hours in wildlife biology (50% of the qualifying education).

Then take the number of months of full time experience and divide by 12 months.

Add the percentages together.

The total must equal at least 100 percent to qualify.

You must include hours per week worked and transcripts.

Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social).

Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.

You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.

You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work and/or volunteer experience.

One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week.

Part-time hours are prorated.

You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies".

No additional credit is given for overtime.

In describing the nature of your duties (your experience), please be clear and concise.

We will not make assumptions regarding your experience.

The Office of Personnel Management Qualification Standards are available for review at:

ICTAP/CTAP Statement: Current surplus and current or former displaced Federal individuals who have special prior­ity selection rights under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) must be well qualified for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection.

Well qualified means that the applicant meets the following: OPM qualification standards for the position; all selective placement factors, where applicable; special qualifying conditions that OPM has approved for the position, where applicable; is physically qualified with reasonable accommodation, where appropriate to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry; and is rated by the organization at least at the well qualified level on all competencies.

How to Apply

Related positions:

Biological Science Technician-Wildlife

Forest Service, Department of Agriculture
Jan 04, 2021, Andalusia, AL

Biological Science Lab Technician (Wildlife)

Forest Service, Department of Agriculture
Nov 21, 2020, Rhinelander, WI

Biological Science Technician (Wildlife)

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Department of Agriculture
Dec 12, 2020, Kapolei, HI

Biological Science Technician (Wildlife) - Terrestrial

National Park Service, Department of the Interior
Dec 07, 2020, Yosemite National Park, CA

Lead Biological Science Technician (Wildlife)

Forest Service, Department of Agriculture
Dec 08, 2020, Spearfish, SD

Discover More